Britton’s Origins — 1975 to Present
The 25 acre campus of Britton Middle School sits on land that was once occupied by Live Oak High School. In 1904, the high school, with a dozen students, met temporarily at the Skeel Hotel in downtown Morgan Hill. In 1905, the students moved to the new building (above) on Monterey Highway. In 1950, the old schoolhouse
was replaced with the current buildings on site today. The town’s high school remained on the corner of Monterey and Central Avenue until its new, larger facility was completed on Main Street in 1975. At that time the old site became Britton Middle School
, named after Lewis H. Britton the former principal of Live Oak High School and Santa Clara County Superintendent. The site has undergone changes over the years including the loss of its swimming pools and the building of a new locker room, but the old auditorium, gymnasium, and spectacular views of El Toro Summit are rock solid anchors on the property. Soon, Morgan Hill Unified will break ground on the new Britton Middle School. The adventure begins.